Southington Local Schools embraces all students. We are committed to providing quality education to all students and celebrate diversity. We believe that a rich culturally diverse environment directly impacts student success. To help students and families that come from other countries and who may speak languages other than English, we provide services to assist them.
Like their native-English speaking peers, ELLs in Ohio are expected to achieve the state's Learning Standards in the content areas of English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies and other subjects. However, in order to achieve high educational standards leading to college and career readiness, ELLs have the unique challenge of learning a new language and transitioning to a new cultural environment. Clever Cat teachers work with ELLs to provide language instruction in a one-on-one setting.
Ohio has adopted English Language Proficiency (ELP) Standards. The ten ELP Standards, developed for kindergarten through grade twelve, focus on English language functions and forms that ELLs need to develop in order to access college and career-ready content standards and to be successful in school. They are:
1. Construct meaning from oral presentations and literary and informational text through grade-appropriate listening, reading, and viewing
2. Participate in grade-appropriate oral and written exchanges of information ideas, and analyses, responding to peer, audience, or reader comments and questions
3. Speak and write about grade-appropriate complex literary and informational texts and topics
4. Construct grade-appropriate oral and written claims and support them with reasoning and evidence
5. Conduct research and evaluate and communicate findings to answer questions or solve problems
6. Analyze and critique the arguments of others orally and in writing
7. Adapt language choices to purpose, task, and audience when speaking and writing
8. Determine the meaning of words and phrases in oral presentations and literary and informational text
9. Create clear and coherent grade-appropriate speech and text
10. Make accurate use of standard English to communicate in grade-appropriate speech and writing